Layers of cheesy vegan béchamel sauce, thin sliced Creamer potatoes, and sliced broccoli florets, all topped off with a toasty, herb and garlic bread crumb topping. Perfect for holiday potlucks and entertaining!
Cheesy Vegan Béchamel Sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegan butter/margarine
- 2 tbsp (20 grams) unbleached flour
- 1/2 small red onion, cut finely
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) salt, to taste
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable broth
- 2 cups (500 ml) unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used soy)
- 1/3 cup (24 grams) nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) Daiya cheddar or mozzarella style shreds
Potato & Broccoli Casserole
- 1 (1.5 lb) bag of The Little Potato Company's Baby Boomers
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets, and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) melted vegan butter/margarine
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) onion powder
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) oregano
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Cheesy Béchamel Sauce
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat 2 tbsp of vegan butter medium-high heat. Add the chopped red onion and cook until translucent and tender. Whisk in the flour, garlic powder, turmeric, and paprika. Cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth, followed by the unsweetened soy milk. Stir in the nutritional yeast and Daiya cheese (optional). Turn heat down to medium and simmer for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt. Set aside.
Potato & Broccoli Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine bread crumbs, melted butter, garlic and onion powder, oregano, and a sprinkle of salt.
- Lightly grease a 9" pie plate with butter/margarine. Begin with 1 layer of thin sliced Creamer potatoes, slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with salt. Add a thin layer of sauce. Layer sliced broccoli florets, slightly over lapping. Sprinkle with salt. Add a thin layer of sauce. Repeat as many times as necessary (1-2 times). Be sure to salt each layer of raw potato or broccoli. Finish with a hefty layer of sauce. Top with seasoned bread crumbs.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover, and bake for another 10 minutes. If crumbs aren't toasted, set under broiler until just toasted. Do not burn.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Be sure to slice the broccoli and potatoes thinly and evenly. The cooking times listed are for thin sliced potatoes and broccoli. I used my food processor for quick and easy, evenly sliced potatoes and proper broccoli "slices". Sliced broccoli, rather than florets, are a lot easier to try and wrangle into a layered casserole.
Keywords: vegan casserole, vegan potato casserole, vegan broccoli casserole