At the base of this recipe are classic vegan staples, lentils and chickpeas, accompanied by rich coconut milk, flavourful spices, and a good dose of heat courtesy of jalapeños, chile garlic sauce, and chili powder.
- 3/4 cup green lentils, soaked in cool water for 1 hour
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1/2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, chili garlic sauce, sriracha, curry powder, chili powder, turmeric, and salt. Stir vigorously and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lentils and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn heat down to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a potato masher, fork, or immersion blender to gently mash/blend some of the mixture. Break up some of the chickpeas and lentils (do not purée) for a thick, chunky curry.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with steamed or sautéed vegetables on a bed of brown rice