Go for the classic vegan "egg" salad sandwich by pairing a thick layer of this chickpea salad with leaf lettuce and white or 60% whole wheat bread. Paper bag lunch perfection.
- 1 540 ml/19 fl. oz. can chickpeas + juice from can
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced or roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp baby dill, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- black pepper, to taste
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 can of chickpeas + juice from can, chopped garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Microwave for 10 minutes. Chill.
- After chilling, drain and if desired, pick out any obvious garlic bits (if you love garlic, feel free to leave it in there!)
- In a food processor, pulse chickpeas until about 1/3 of the mixture is chunky and about 1/3 is really smooth (the remaining 1/3 should be somewhere in between.) For the perfect texture, allow the processor to unevenly break down the chickpeas - do not mix or scrape the sides of your processor while you process the chickpeas.
- In a bowl, combine the mashed chickpeas, celery, green onion, pickles, dill, lemon juice, vegan mayo, sriracha, turmeric, paprika, breadcrumbs and black pepper. Chill for 10 minutes before assembling your sandwiches. I recommend putting approx. 1/3 cup filling per sandwich.
For optimal "egg-y" flavour, use "Kala Namak"/black salt in place of table salt in this recipe. Black salt is a great vegan pantry staple that adds a delicious light sulphurous (or "egg-y") flavour to egg-less quiches, scrambles, and salad sandwiches.