Soft, tender sweet potatoes topped with a sweet, cinnamon and vanilla date caramel and crunchy pecans. A lovely naturally sweetened twist on sweet potato and toasted marshmallow casserole! Increase the topping my half if you'd prefer to be sweeter.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (or 4-5 mini)
- 1/4 cup soft pitted dates, packed
- 1/3 cup water, plus an additional 3 tbsp of water for pan
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
Pre-Cook Sweet Potatoes
- Bake, microwave or boil potatoes until just tender. I peel the skins off because it's so much easier to serve the casserole without them.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice cooked sweet potatoes into thick slices and arrange them in a pie plate.
- Blend together the dates, water, cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut oil until smooth.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add the date mixture. Bring mixture to a boil and add the chopped pecans. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the date mixture over the sweet potatoes and top with more chopped pecans. Pour 3 tbsp of water into the bottom of your pie plate.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until potatoes are tender and fragrant.
This recipe only makes about 4 medium servings so feel free to double it if you're serving more people. I'm the only one who likes sweet potatoes in this house so I just made this little one.