Creamy, saucy, easy vegan mac and cheese. No messy blenders or extra dirty pots necessary. This vegan mac and cheese is ready in 20 minutes or less!
- 1 ½ cups (225 g) elbow macaroni
- ¾ cups (175 ml) unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ⅔ cup (60 g) vegan cheese shreds (I used Follow Your Heart/Earth Island Mozzarella)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegan butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp (8 g) nutritional yeast flakes
- 2-3 tsp (10-15 ml) white vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) onion powder
- 1-2 tsp (5-10 ml) sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt, add more to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, measure out the cheese, butter, nutritional yeast, vinegar, garlic and onion powder, sugar, and salt.
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to boil. Add macaroni noodles. Cook pasta al denté, according to package instructions. Drain the pasta but DO NOT rinse it. The leftover starch from cooking the pasta thickens the cheese sauce.
- In the pot you used to boil the pasta, turn heat to medium. Add the cooked macaroni, and stir in unsweetened almond milk, and measured ingredients from step 1. The mac and cheese will look a little soupy at this stage.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until vegan cheese is melted, and the sauce is smooth and thickened to your liking. Taste and adjust seasoning.
SERVING SIZE NOTES: This recipe makes the same amount as a box of store-bought mac and cheese. The serving size is small, adequate for a small meal or a side dish. Feel free to double this recipe.
ADD SOME BROCCOLI: During the last 2-3 minutes of boiling the pasta, add 1 cup of small, chopped broccoli florets. Proceed with the rest of the recipe as directed.
BAKE IT: Add a little extra vegan cheese to the sauce. Cook the sauce and pasta until the cheese melts but before sauce fully thickens. Pour the mac and cheese into a casserole dish and top with seasoned breadcrumbs (recipe below). Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 20 minutes, or until breadcrumbs appear golden-brown and toasty.
SEASONED BREAD CRUMB TOPPING: Mix together ⅔ cup panko breadcrumbs, ½ tbsp melted vegan butter, ¼ tsp Italian herbs, pinch each of garlic and onion powder, (optional: pinch of salt).
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese