These easy vegan potato tostadas are simple and straightforward to prepare. The flavourful spiced potato filling is made with a simple blend of pantry staples: onion, garlic, red chili flakes, paprika, and chili powder. Messy, crunchy, and loaded with fresh toppings, these vegan tostadas are perfect for casual summer meals! 40 minutes total, completely customizable, and perfect for prep-ahead meals.
- 1 - 1.5lb bag/box of The Little Potato Company's Chilean Splash Creamer potatoes
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- Canola oil or other neutral-tasting vegetable oil, for frying
- Cholula or other Mexican hot sauce
- Lettuce, shredded
- Tomato, chopped
- Avocado, sliced
- Red onion, chopped
- Lime wedges
- Add potatoes to a large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Begin preparing the remaining ingredients while the potatoes cook. First, chop the onion and mince the garlic for the potato filling. Then prepare your toppings: we used shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced grape tomatoes, sliced avocado, chopped red onion, cilantro, and lime wedges.
- Once the pot of potatoes begins to boil, cook them for 15 minutes or until the largest potato is fork tender. Drain potatoes and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, cut them into large quarters.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 ½ tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent (approx. 2 minutes.) Add the potatoes and 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp paprika, and 1 tsp chili flakes. Mix well to season the potatoes evenly. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes. Add lime juice and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside.
Frying the tortillas:
- In a large saucepan, heat a generous amount of neutral-tasting vegetable oil (at least 1/2” deep) over medium-high heat.
- Allow plenty of time for the oil to reach the correct temperature (about 325F -350F). If the oil isn’t hot enough your tostadas will be oily, if it’s too hot, your tostadas will be overcooked. It should take approx. 10-20 seconds to cook each side of the tortilla. Adjust your temperature accordingly.
- Cook 1 corn tortilla at a time. Fry for 10-20 seconds, flip and fry for another 10-20 seconds until both sides are golden brown.
- Drain on a cooling rack with an absorbent kitchen towel (or paper towel) underneath to absorb excess oil.
Assembling the tostadas:
While tostadas are still hot, top with the potato filling followed by hot sauce, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, sliced avocado, diced red onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.