Easy vegan enchiladas filled with seasoned tofu, black beans, kale and vegan cheese.
- 10 medium sized flour tortillas
- vegan cheese shreds, for topping
- green onion, for topping
- cilantro, for topping
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced or chopped, for topping
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (1 can) cooked black beans, drained
- 3 tsp chili powder (divided)
- salt, to taste
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 cups kale, destemmed and thin-sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 1/3 of bean mixture from filling
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, black beans, and 2 tsp chili powder. Sauté until the onion is translucent and tender. Transfer bean mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high. Add crumbled tofu, kale, and chopped bell pepper. Cook until tofu is golden. Add 1/2 cup salsa, 1 tsp chili powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix well. Add 2/3 of the bean mixture from step 1 and 1/3 cup vegan cheese shreds. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- In a blender, blend remaining 1/3 of the beans from step 1, 1 cup vegetable broth, 1 cup of salsa, and 1 tsp chili powder. Blend on high until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spread each tortilla with a generous layer of sauce. Divide the filling evenly among tortillas and arrange the filling in a line down the center of each tortilla. Roll up the sides and place enchiladas, seam side down, in a baking dish. ( I used two smaller dishes: a 5"x7" and an 7"x7")
- Top with remaining sauce and vegan cheese shreds. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Just before serving, top with chopped green onion, cilantro. Serve with fresh avocado or guacamole.