This healthy vegan Shepherd's pie uses nutrient-rich Little Potatoes (and their skins!) for the mashed topping and a hearty mix of lentils and vegetables for the base. Healthy comfort food at its finest!
Mashed Potato Topping:
- 1.5lb bag of The Little Potatoes Fingerling Potatoes (or Baby Boomers)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp Earth Balance
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups cooked green lentils (cooking instructions in notes)
- In a large pot, cover Creamer potatoes with a generous amount of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes (or until tender.)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- While the potatoes are boiling, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and kale. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and thyme. Continue sautéing until the vegetables are nearly tender.
- Evenly sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to coat. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually and in small amounts, add the veggie broth to the vegetables using a whisk to incorporate the broth. Keep adding more broth until the consistency is a thin gravy. Add the corn, peas, and lentils. Simmer for 5 minutes (add more water if needed.) Pour veggie mixture into a large casserole dish. Spoon or pipe mashed potatoes evenly on top. Cover the casserole dish with a lid or foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and broil for 2-5 minute until browned to your liking.
I cooked this recipe in a large deep dish pie plate. Any large casserole dish should be just fine.Cooking Lentils: Approx. 3/4 cup dry green lentils = 1 1/2 cups cooked. Rinse ½ cup dry red lentils (split). Add the lentils and 2 1/2 cups of unsalted water to a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 20-25 minutes (until lentils are tender.)