How to cook a Tofurky Roast with roasted vegetables and easy vegan gravy.
1 Tofurky Roast, thawed in fridge for 24 hours
For the Baste
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 teaspoons each of fresh chopped thyme, oregano, sage, and rosemary (for dried herbs, use 1/2 teaspoon each or sub with 2 teaspoons dried poultry or Italian seasoning - rubbed not ground)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6-10 Creamer potatoes, halved
For the Gravy (optional)
- Tofurky “drippings”
- 3 tablespoons (35 grams) flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable broth
Tofurky Roast and Vegetables
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Use a knife or scissors to carefully cut off one of the end clips. Run the thawed Tofurky Roast under warm water as you loosen and remove the plastic.
- Prepare the baste in a small bowl. Mix together olive oil, soy sauce, maple syrup, minced garlic, and herbs.
- If cooking vegetables, toss them with 3 tablespoons of baste. Arrange vegetables in your baking dish.
- Put a piece of parchment paper in the center of your baking dish. Add the Tofurky Roast and cover with half of the baste.
Note: If cooking vegetables in the same dish as the Tofurky, the parchment paper barrier prevents the vegetables from simmering in the excess baste, overcooking and over-seasoning them. The parchment makes it easier to reserve the Tofurky "drippings" for making vegan gravy.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Check for doneness at 1 hour. Once the vegetables are nearly tender and the Tofurky is golden-brown, pour the remaining baste over the Tofurky and cook, uncovered, for an additional 10-15 minutes. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the Tofurky Roast reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C).
Optional: Reserve excess baste or Tofurky "drippings" for making vegan gravy.
- Use a very sharp or serrated knife to thinly slice the Tofurky Roast for serving.
- Heat the Tofurky “drippings” in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, make a roux by whisking in 3 tablespoons of flour. Add a splash of the vegetable broth if the roux is too thick to stir. Cook, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the vegetable broth, slowly and gradually, to prevent lumps.
- Simmer until your desired consistency is reached (the gravy will thicken slightly as it cools.)
Taste and adjust the consistency and seasoning using vegetable broth, water, salt, and pepper.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Cooking from frozen: Extend cook time by 1 extra hour. If cooking vegetables in the same baking dish, cook the Tofurky Roast for 1 hour before adding the vegetables and continue cooking as directed.
Serve with cranberry sauce and vegan gravy.
Keywords: How to Cook a Tofurky Roast