The classic grilled cheese sandwich, veganized! Lunch doesn't get much easier than this.
- 2 slices sandwich bread (1/2" thick)
- 1/3 cup vegan cheese shreds (mozza + cheddar blend), plus extra
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (divided)
- 2 -4 slices tempeh bacon, fried until crisp (optional)
- Classic grilled cheese: Sprinkle vegan cheese shreds on a slice of bread. Top with second slice of bread.
- Tempeh bacon grilled cheese: Sprinkle half of the vegan cheese over a slice of bread, add sliced tempeh bacon, and then sprinkle the remaining vegan cheese over the bacon. Top with second slice of bread.
- Preheat cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Melt 1/2 tbsp vegan butter in a hot skillet. Add sandwich and cook until golden brown and crispy. Use a spatula to lift the sandwich and check the progress as needed.
- Add another 1/2 tbsp of butter to the pan and use a spatula to carefully flip the sandwich.
- Top the cooked side with a light sprinkle of vegan cheese shreds.
- Continue cooking the underside until golden brown. Quickly flip the sandwich once more, cooking just long enough for the cheese on the outside to get fried and crispy.
- Slice on a diagonal and let the sandwich rest for a couple of minutes before eating.
- Optional: Serve with your favourite condiments - ketchup. hummus and vegan ranch are both great options.