A hearty breakfast bowl of savoury scrambled tofu, garlicky mushrooms and kale on a bed of whole wheat couscous. Add your favourite toppings for a fresh and nutritious breakfast!
- 1-2 cups cooked whole wheat couscous (cook with vegetable broth for more flavour)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup quartered Cremini and white button mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (divided)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 block extra-firm or firm tofu, pressed & crumbled into bite sized chunks
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp fine grind kala namak salt (black salt - can sub for sea salt)
- 1/8 tsp/pinch of turmeric
- ripe avocado, pea sprouts, chopped green onion, granola, halved grape tomatoes
- Prepare couscous according to package instructions.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped kale and 1 clove of minced garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the kale is nearly tender. Sprinkle with salt and cook until tender. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and 1 clove of minced garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are golden brown and tender. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or ramekin/custard cup, combine nutritional yeast, water, garlic powder, onion powder, kala namak, and turmeric. Stir well.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add crumbled tofu and cook, stirring often, until the tofu is mostly golden-brown.
- Push the tofu to one side of the pan and pour the "scramble sauce" over the tofu. Stir to coat the tofu and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce is absorbed. Set aside.
- Divide cooked couscous, kale, mushrooms, and tofu scramble between 2 bowls. Add your favourite toppings (ripe avocado, pea sprouts, green onion, granola, and grape tomatoes) and enjoy!
For an Instagram-worthy breakfast bowl, cook the tofu, kale and mushrooms separately (as explained in the recipe.) For something fast and easy: brown the tofu slightly, then cook the kale and mushrooms alongside the tofu, and coat all 3 ingredients with the "scramble sauce".
Keywords: vegan breakfast bowl, scrambled tofu