A sweet + smoky marinade for sliced tempeh or tofu. Marinate overnight for best flavour.
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1/2-1 tsp liquid smoke
- black pepper, to taste
- 8 strips tempeh
- 1/2 tbsp vegan butter, canola, or olive oil
- Combine soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic, melted vegan butter, liquid smoke, and black pepper in a shallow dish.
- Add tempeh strips and ensure they're well coated with marinade. Refrigerate overnight. Do not shake, flip gently with tongs if needed.
- To cook: Preheat skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tbsp vegan butter or oil and fry tempeh (plus remaining marinade) until crisp and browned to your liking.