A hearty Tex-Mex Veggie Hash, loaded with scrambled tofu, black beans, peppers, Creamer potatoes and kale. Packed with protein!
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups Baby Boomers, chopped (half of a 1.5 lb bag)
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup mixed red, green, orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups kale, destemmed and chopped
- 2/3 cup black beans
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 350g block extra-firm tofu, coarsely crumbled
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp Kala Namak black salt, fine ground
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- avocado (optional)
- Pierce potatoes once. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly before chopping into small pieces.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, red onion, bell pepper, garlic, and kale. Once vegetables are nearly tender, add black beans. Sprinkle with salt and 1 tsp chili powder. Cook until potatoes are tender. Set vegetables aside and wipe out your skillet.
- Tear tofu into varying sized crumbles (refer to ingredient picture for approximate size.)
- Combine all nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Kala Namak, turmeric, and water in a small bowl.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring often, until slightly golden on some sides (optional). Pour sauce over tofu and stir until absorbed. Add vegan cheese if desired, stir until melted.
- Add veggies back to the pan, stir and heat through.
- Serve topped with fresh avocado.
Kala Namak - Feel free to substitute with regular salt. You may need to use more salt (up to 1 tsp) as Kala Namak is very finely ground.Scramble Tip - Adding vegan cheese helps the scramble bind together which is especially useful if the tofu is crumbled very fine.Serving - Serve topped with avocado and a side of toast, sandwich it in an English muffin, or wrap it up with avocado, salsa, tomato and lettuce in a taco or burrito.