Quick, simple and bursting with fresh, nutritious ingredients. The base of this salad bowl is a protein rich blend of seasoned green lentils and black beans and a colourful array of bell peppers, purple onion, and baked sweet potato. After that, it's all about the toppings!
Lentil Black Bean Sweet Potato Base
- 1 small sweet potato, baked
- 1 1/2 cups cooked green lentils (or 3/4 cup dry - refer to cooking instructions)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers (I used red, green, and yellow)
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup black beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 cups mild lettuce (iceberg, butter, romaine, spinach), shredded
- 1 chopped tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup green or red onion, finely chopped
- 1 avocado (or guacamole)
- 1/2 cup fresh or canned corn
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice
- Optional: salsa, sriracha, taco sauce, vegan sour cream, Daiya shreds
- Approx. 3/4 cup dry green lentils = 1 1/2 cups cooked. Rinse ½ cup dry red lentils (split). Add the lentils and 2 1/2 cups of unsalted water to a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 20-25 minutes (until lentils are tender.)
Baking Sweet Potato
- You can cook sweet potatoes in the microwave or oven. If using the oven, preheat to 400F. Clean the skin under running water before pricking 5-7 times with a knife or fork. Oven: Place a baking sheet and bake until tender (25-35 minutes for a small potato.) Microwave: Microwave for 5-8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Making Lentil Black Bean Sweet Potato Base
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped peppers, red onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often until onion is nearly tender.
- Add the lentils, black beans, sweet potato, chili powder and salt. Stir to combine and cook for 3-5 minutes or until nice and hot.
Assembling The Big Southwest Lentil Salad Bowl
- Scoop 1+ cups of the lentils/black bean base into a bowl.
- Top generously with 1/2 cup or more of shredded lettuce, 1/4 of an avocado, 1/4 cup fresh chopped tomato, 2 tbsp corn, 2 tbsp green or red onion, and a sprinkle of cilantro and lime juice.