Two-bite vegetable samosas filled with peas, carrots, onion, colourful Creamer potatoes, and rich coconut curry. These little samosas make a great appetizer!
- 1 1/2 cups diced Creamer potatoes (approx. half (1/2) of 1.5lb bag of The Little Potato Company's Terrific Trio)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrots (1 small carrot)
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion (1/2 small onion)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- big pinch paprika
- big pinch turmeric
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1/3 cup frozen peas (prepared in microwave)
- 3/4 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp-6 tbsp water
- 2-3 tbsp coconut milk
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 16 eggless spring roll wrappers (6"x6" - I used these)
- coconut or canola oil, for deep frying
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a rapid boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Add the diced potatoes to the boiling water and cook for 6 minutes before draining and plunging into the the ice water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrot and onion. Cook until onion is almost transparent. Add the minced garlic and cook until transparent. Drain the par-boiled potatoes before adding them to the skillet. Add the salt, paprika, turmeric and curry powder. Mix in the cooked peas and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender. Gradually add between 3-6 tbsp of water, as needed, to keep the mixture from sticking to the pan.
- Add coconut milk, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. Use a fork to mash 1/3-1/2 of the potatoes - once mixed, the mixture should clump together. Continue cooking until the mixture is quite thick and stiff. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your preference (salt, coconut milk, and nutritional yeast, etc.) Set mixture aside.
Folding & Frying Samosas
- Refer to the image below the recipe for step-by-step instructions for folding the samosas.
- Place about 1 tbsp of filling in the lower left quadrant of your spring roll wrapper.
- Fold the lower left corner into the center point of the square, over the filling (take care to keep the filling enclosed in the fold.)
- Fold the entire lower half up so that the bottom edge is now even with the top edge.
- Fold the top left corner down, back over the filling and flush with the center.
- Fold the triangle of folded filling once to the right.
- Fold the triangle of folded filling to the right a second time, up and into a small triangle parcel. Heat a medium saucepan with 1.5" of deep frying oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot (the oil should be almost smoking hot), deep fry the samosas for 1-2 minutes per side, until the wrapper is a deep golden brown. Drain.
Serve immediately with your favourite dipping sauces (chutneys, vegan yogurt based dips. hummus, hot sauce, etc.)For smooth samosas make sure to use hot frying oil. I found that the spring roll wrappers had a bubbly texture when cooked in cooler frying oil.