Marinated tofu strips, lightly sautéed veggies, and rice noodles in a sweet, spicy almond butter blender sauce.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of half lime
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, sliced and pressed to remove excess moisture
- olive or sesame oil, for stir-frying
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp salted peanuts
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup spinach, julienned
- 4 cups cooked rice vermicelli noodles
- green onion, green parts only, sliced
- salted peanuts, chopped
- sesame seeds, toasted
- lime wedges
- thai basil chiffonade (optional)
- In a shallow dish, marinate pressed tofu slices in soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, maple syrup, sesame oil, minced garlic, lime juice, and black pepper, for 1-12 hours. (Tofu will be more flavourful the longer it's marinated.)
- In a large skillet heat sesame or olive oil over medium-high heat. Add marinated tofu, reserving all of the leftover marinade. Fry tofu on both sides until crisp and browned. Afterwards, cool and slice into thin strips.
- In blender, combine leftover tofu marinade with almond butter, water, and 1tbsp toasted sesame seeds. Blend on high until hot (about 5 minutes,) Add 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds and 2 tbsp salted peanuts. Pulse on low for texture.
- Boil rice noodles according to package instructions. In a strainer, rinse well under hot water.
- In the same skillet, heat olive oil or sesame oil over high heat. Add the sliced bell pepper and julienned carrot. Cook for 2 minutes, Add the green onion and spinach and cook for 1 minute. Turn heat off.
- Add the boiled rice noodles to the stir-fried vegetables. Add almond butter sauce (enough to generously coat noodles) and combine.
- Serve and top with sliced marinated tofu, sliced green onion, chopped salted peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, lime juice, thai basil (optional), and extra almond butter sauce.
This recipe can be served cold too! Blend the sauce until smooth (not hot!), skip the stir-frying, chill your tofu after marinating and frying it, and assemble it as usual.