Made with a mix of Creamer potatoes, black beans, and scrambled tofu, these vegan tostadas are a satisfying breakfast you'll look forward to. Top them with fresh toppings like creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and hot sauce for a bright and flavourful start to your day.
- 1/2 block extra-firm or firm tofu, pressed & crumbled into bite sized chunks
- 1 ½ tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 ½ tbsp water
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp fine grind kala namak salt (black salt - can sub for sea salt)
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Seasoned Creamer potatoes
- The Little Potato Company’s Garlic & Parsley Microwave Ready kit
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Spicy Black Beans
- 1 cup (1/2 can) cooked black beans
- 1 tbsp Cholula hot sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- Corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Toppings (lime wedges, avocado, cilantro, tomato, red and green onion, Cholula hot sauce)
- Prepare scrambled tofu: Combine nutritional yeast, water, garlic powder, kala namak, and turmeric in a small bowl. In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add crumbled tofu and cook, stirring often, until the tofu is mostly golden-brown. Push the tofu to one side of the pan and pour the sauce over the tofu. Stir to coat and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce is absorbed. Set aside.
- Prepare Creamer potatoes: Peel back plastic film and remove seasoning packet. Close film and cook in microwave for 5 minutes on high. Let potatoes rest for 2-4 minutes. Peel the plastic film off and allow to cool until comfortable to touch. Cut potatoes into quarters. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and the seasoning pack and cook, stirring often, until potatoes are golden-brown. Set aside.
- Mix beans with Cholula and salt. Cook briefly, in the same pan as the potatoes, to heat the beans thoroughly.
- Frying the tortillas: In a large saucepan, heat a generous amount of neutral-tasting vegetable oil (at least 1/2” deep) over medium-high heat. Allow plenty of time for the oil to reach the correct temperature (about 325F -350F). It should take approx. 10-20 seconds to cook each side of the tortilla. Adjust your temperature accordingly. Cook 1 corn tortilla at a time. Fry for 10-20 seconds, flip and fry for another 10-20 seconds until both sides are golden brown. Drain on a cooling rack.
- Assembling the tostadas: Top fried corn tortilla with the Creamer potatoes, black beans, scrambled tofu and yourn favourite toppings (cilantro, tomato, onion, avocado, hot sauce, etc.)