Decadent caramel drizzled cinnamon rolls loaded with tender apple bits and pecans.
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp warm Silk Vanilla Soymilk
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 3/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 cups + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp + 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp + 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 small Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Dulce de Leche drizzle:
- 1 1/3 cup Silk Vanilla Soymilk
- 2/3 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp of vegan butter
- Combine all dough ingredients in a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment. Knead for 6-8 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Coat the dough ball in a light amount of canola oil, place in a large bowl and cover with a damp dish towel. Let the dough rise at room temperature until doubled in size (about 1 hour.)
- Cut dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the dough out into an approx. 8" X 16" rectangle. Spread with 2 1/2 tbsp vegan butter, 1 tsp cinnamon, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 chopped apple, and 1/4 cup chopped pecans. Starting from the longest edge closest to you, roll the dough away from you (encasing the filling inside.) Place the rolled dough seam side down and cut into 12 equal pieces. Repeat for the other half of the dough.
- Line 2 8" cast iron skillets or baking pans with parchment paper. Spread parchment with 1/2 tbsp of vegan butter and sprinkle with 1/2 tbsp of brown sugar. In the center, place 3 cinnamon rolls loosely grouped together, and group the remaining buns around the center three. Cover with plastic wrap and a damp tea towel and leave them to rise at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300F. Bake cinnamon buns for 20-25 minutes. (If needed, cover rolls with a layer of aluminum foil to prevent them from getting too brown.)
- Cool and drizzle with dulce de leche.
Dulce de Leche
- In a medium thick-bottomed saucepan, combine soymilk, coconut cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the baking soda and turn the heat down to a low simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally (as needed) for 1 1/2 hours. Whisk in 1 tbsp vegan butter and set aside.
For separated single cinnamon rolls like the 3 shown on the plate, bake rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave 1" between rolls. Bake for 15-20 minutes.