Al denté penne noodles and sautéed veggies in a savoury coconut cream sauce.
- 1 box Barilla Pronto Penne, prepared according to package instructions
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (or olive/canola oil)
- 1 cup packed broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/3 cup green onion, sliced
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (1/4 lemon)
- black pepper, to taste
- cashew parm, to taste
- Prepare penne pasta according to box instructions. Do not rinse, set aside.
- In same pan heat vegan butter over medium-high heat. Sauté broccoli and carrots for 3 minutes before adding red bell pepper and garlic and sautéing for an additional 3 minutes. Add the peas and green onion and cook until vegetables are just tender.
- Whisk in the flour, garlic powder, onion powder and nutritional yeast. Cook for one minute. Slowly whisk in coconut milk and veggie broth and bring to a simmer (the sauce should thicken slightly.) Add cooked penne noodles, lemon juice, black pepper, and stir well. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your preferences.
- Serve topped with cashew parmesan and black pepper.