This Vegan Instant Pot Little Potato & Corn Chowder is a hearty, comforting soup. It's creamy, a little smoky, and flecked with sweet corn. Don't have an Instant Pot? You can easily make it on your stove top too!
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 - 1.5lb (680g) bag of The Little Potato Company’s Blushing Belles
- 2 cups (500ml) leeks (1 leek, white part only - 160g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 slices tempeh bacon, crumbled
- ½ cup (125ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 6 cups (1500ml) vegetable broth
- ½ cup (125ml) frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup (125ml) coconut cream (can be substituted with unsweetened soymilk)
- ½ tbsp (7.5ml) white vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Chives, chopped, for topping
- With the lid off, turn Instant Pot on to “Sauté” and choose the “Normal” heat level. Wait for the Instant Pot to preheat. Add the olive oil or vegan butter and wait for 1 minute. Add the crumbled tempeh bacon. Cook, stirring often, until the tempeh bacon is just browned, about 2 minutes.
- Remove about ¼ of the crumbled, browned tempeh bacon. Set aside for topping.
- Add the garlic and stir. Add the leeks and stir and cook for 1 minute, until the leeks are tender and translucent.
- Add the potatoes and flour. Mix well. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add approximately 2 cups of vegetable stock to deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the remaining vegetable stock.
- Securely close the lid on your Instant Pot, turn the valve to the “Sealing” position. Turn the Instant Pot on to “Manual” or “Pressure Cook”. Set timer for 10 minutes.
- After cooking, quick release the pressure on your Instant Pot by carefully moving the valve to “Venting”. Once the Instant Pot has released all pressure, carefully remove the lid.
- Change Instant Pot setting to “Sauté”, heat level “Normal”. Add corn kernels and simmer until thickened. Add coconut cream and vinegar. Stir.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve topped with bacon and chives.
Making stove top Vegan Little Potato & Corn Chowder:
Add an extra cup or two of water and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the soup reduces to your desired thickness and the potatoes are tender. Easy!