A creamy vegan cremini and white button mushroom soup flavoured with garlic, lemon, thyme and paprika.
- 1 tbsp olive/canola oil or vegan butter
- 2 cups of halved and sliced (1/4" thick) mushrooms (white button and cremini - approx. 14 medium)
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup Silk Original Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tbsp fresh chives
- 2-4 tbsp coconut canned full fat coconut milk (optional)
- pinch paprika
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- In a medium sauce pan heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and sauté until mushrooms have released their moisture.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth. Bring soup back to a simmer and add almond milk before turning the heat down to medium and simmering for 10 minutes.
- Use a large slotted spoon to remove most of the mushrooms and vegetables. Remove and set aside fewer mushrooms for a less chunky soup and more mushrooms for a chunkier soup. Purée the remaining soup until creamy and smooth (a high speed blender works best) before adding the reserved mushrooms. Bring the soup back to a simmer before adding lemon juice, thyme, chives, coconut milk, and paprika. Taste and season with black pepper and salt. If needed, adjust consistency of soup with vegetable broth or unsweetened almondmilk. Also adjust seasoning (lemon juice, thyme, chives, paprika, black pepper, and salt) to suit your preference.
You may need to add additional almondmilk and vegetable broth to thin the soup if you decide to purée more of the mushrooms for a less chunky soup.