Pot pies are the ultimate comfort food, and this vegan recipe is full of familiar flavours. The flaky top crust hides a filling of vegan cream sauce, Creamer potatoes, vegetables, and seasoned tofu.
- 1 ⅓ cups (160 grams) all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup (115 grams) chilled vegetable shortening or vegan butter
- 2-3 tbsp (30 - 45 ml) ice water
Vegan Pot Pie Filling:
- 1/2 (350g/14-oz block) firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegan butter or vegetable oil, divided (plus extra for brushing)
- ⅔ cup (90 grams) chopped carrot (approx. 1 carrot)
- ⅓ cup (50 grams) chopped celery (approx. 1 rib)
- ½ cup (70 grams) chopped onion (approx. ½ onion)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (35 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 ¼ cup (310 ml) original non-dairy milk
- ¾ cup (125 grams) chopped Creamer potatoes (any variety by The Little Potato Company)
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) onion powder
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) dried thyme
- ¼ cup (50 grams) frozen peas
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Cut the chilled shortening into the flour using a pastry blender, until the fat is uniformly combined and the mixture begins to stick together.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of ice water and stir just enough for the mixture to form a dough. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- After chilling, cut the dough into 4 or 6 equal pieces. Form each piece into a round disk. On a floured surface, roll each piece of dough out into a roughly circular shape, slightly larger than your ramekins. Cut off any excess to make a round.
Vegan Pot Pie Filling and Assembly:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Mix cubed tofu and soy sauce together. In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add cubed tofu/soy sauce and cook, stirring and turning often until browned on all sides. Remove tofu from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tbsp of vegan butter over medium heat. Once it begins to sizzle, add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Gradually add vegetable broth and non-dairy milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Add the Little potatoes, tofu, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme. Simmer for 10 minutes. Begin rolling out the pie dough while the filling simmers.
- Stir in the frozen peas and white wine vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Divide filling into 6 (½ cup / 125 ml capacity) ramekins. Top with pie crust, folding the crust over the edges of the ramekin. Brush with melted vegan butter or non-dairy milk. Poke a few holes in the crust to allow steam to escape.
Pot pies last up to 4 days in the fridge.
Reheating: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Tip: To make larger meal-sized pot pies, use 4 (¾ cup / 175 ml capacity) ramekins. Prepare in a standard pie plate for a family-size pot pie.
Keywords: vegan pot pies, vegan pot pie recipe