Delicious, flakey, flavourful vegan pie crust. For best results, use vegan butter instead of coconut oil or shortening.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup vegan butter, chilled (you can substitute vegetable shortening or coconut oil but the crust will be less flavourful - add 1/2 tsp salt)
- ¼ cup ice water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt (if using coconut oil or vegetable shortening.)
- Cut the chilled vegan butter into the flour using your hands or a pastry blender The fat should be cut into very small pieces, resembling coarse corn meal.
- Slowly add ice water (just a little bit at a time, you may not need a full ¼ cup), stirring with a fork until the dough is crumbly and just holds together. The dough should not be sticky or wet.
- Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap to form a disk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow to moisture to distribute evenly throughout the dough.
- After chilling, unwrap dough and place onto a well floured work surface. Start rolling from the center of the dough to the outside. Roll in different directions to keep a circular shape.
- After every few passes with the rolling pin, release the dough from your work surface using a long spatula to keep the dough from tearing.
- Roll the dough until it is about an 1 or 2 inches larger than your pie plate. Gently pick up you dough and transfer into your pie plate. Cut off the excess and use a fork to decorate the lip of your dough. Using your fork, prick the bottom of your dough several times.
Substituting coconut oil for vegan butter will make this crust harder to work with.