This pourable vegan caramel sauce is great for pumpkin pie, hot drinks, and desserts all year round!
- ½ cup sugar
- 50 ml water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp margarine
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp soy milk, divided
- 1/3 -½ cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- large ice water bath (large enough to hold your saucepan)
- Gather all supplies and measure all ingredients before beginning. Keep everything within arm's reach.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring sugar and water to a full boil. Prevent sugar granules from collecting on the sides. Avoid stirring.
- Once the entire surface of the sugar is boiling, add the lemon juice. Do no stir.
- Allow to boil for 3 minutes - until the sugar goes from clear to lightly golden (not brown!)
- Leave the burner on, remove the sauce pan from the heat and whisk in 1 tbsp of margarine.
- Put back onto the heat, allow to boil and whisk constantly for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gradually whisk in ¼ cup of soy milk. Be careful! The sugar could splatter a little bit.
- Put back on the heat, whisking constantly, and add an additional 1 tbsp of soy milk.
- Whisk for 1 minute and add chopped walnuts.
- Transfer pot to an ice water bath. Whisk vigorously - you’re trying to incorporate a little bit of air while cooling down the caramel.
- As the caramel cools it will thicken up, if it starts to get too thick add 1 tbsp of soy milk and continue to whisk. Add more soy milk and whisk if needed.
- Serve over pumpkin pie.