Delicious, unfussy stacks of Vegan Strawberry Shortcake make a great spring-into-summer dessert!
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup granulated sugar (depending on ripeness/sweetness of strawberries)
- 1 can of high quality coconut cream, chilled in fridge overnight
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp vanilla soy milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Measure out coconut oil and chill in freezer.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine sliced strawberries with sugar and mix well. Set aside while you make the coconut whip and shortcake.
- Flip chilled can of coconut cream and open with a can opener. Pour off liquid. Scoop out the thick, solid coconut cream.
- In a high-speed mixer whisk together the solid coconut cream, sugar, and vanilla, until light and thick. Chill.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Use your hands (or a pastry blender) to cut the coconut oil into the dry ingredients. Work the coconut oil into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. (If using your hands, it can be helpful to chill them by rinsing under very cold water for a minute or so. This will help you break up the coconut oil without melting it.)
- Add the soy milk and vanilla extract. Use a fork to stir the ingredients. Do NOT over-mix. Once the dough begins to form, transfer the dough to a well floured surface. Roll the dough out to a thickness of 1 1/2”. Use a glass or round cookie-cutter to cut out 2" rounds. Re-form and roll out the dough as necessary.
- Transfer rounds to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cakes are golden brown.
- Stir up the prepared strawberries. Blend 1/3 to 1/2 of the strawberries.
- Optional: Add a couple of spoonfuls of the sweet blended strawberries to the coco whip. Gently fold the mixture together.
- Slice cakes in half. Start with a layer of shortcake, top with a spoonful of strawberries, top with a dollop of coconut whip, and repeat. Finish with a final layer of shortcake (preferably a top, not a bottom) a dollop of whip and a slice of strawberry.