This vegan teriyaki stir-fry has tender-crisp "grilled" vegetables and golden tofu topped with a sweet and savoury teriyaki sauce and served on a bed of steamed rice.
- 1 ½ cups (270 grams) jasmine rice, uncooked
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 350 grams medium/traditional tofu, (cut into ¾” thick triangles)
- Canola oil, for frying
- Optional toppings: toasted sesame seeds, sriracha, sambal oelek, and/or crushed red chili flakes
- 1 ¼ cups (315 ml) water, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (35 grams) brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼” (¾ cm) slice of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
- ½ tbsp (7.5 ml) canola oil
- 2 cups (200 grams) broccoli florets
- 1 cup (135 grams) sliced carrot (approx. 2 medium carrots)
- ½ cup (60 grams) sliced celery (approx. 1 stalk)
- 1 ½ cups (130 grams) thick-sliced cremini mushrooms (approx. 5 large)
- 1 ½ cups (110 grams) coleslaw/shaved cabbage
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Rinse rice thoroughly. Combine rice and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir, cover, and turn heat down to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Turn heat off and let rice sit, covered, for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- In a small dish, stir together ¼ cup (60 ml) water and cornstarch to make a slurry.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup (250 ml) water, soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, and sliced ginger. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the cornstarch slurry and turn heat down to a simmer. Cook, whisking as needed, until the teriyaki sauce is translucent and reaches your desired consistency. Remove ginger slice, taste, and adjust seasoning to taste with soy sauce or water. If necessary, cook longer to further adjust consistency. Set teriyaki sauce aside until ready to serve.
- Pat tofu dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel.
- In a large skillet/frying pan, add enough canola oil to pan-fry the tofu (about 1/4 “ or 1 cm). Heat oil over medium/medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the tofu and cook until golden brown. Flip tofu with tongs and cook the other side. Drain tofu on a cooling rack or paper towel. Safely discard frying oil.
- Heat canola oil over high heat.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook without stirring until lightly seared with brown bits around the edges. Stir, cooking for approximately 2 minutes total. Add carrot and celery and cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until lightly browned but not fully cooked, about 2 minutes. Add coleslaw, stir, and cover. Steam vegetables until they’re tender-crisp, approximately 2 minutes. (Adjust cooking times based on the size of the vegetable.)
- Serve tofu and vegetables on a bed of rice. Spoon teriyaki sauce over the tofu and vegetables, to taste. Optional: Top with toasted sesame seeds, sriracha, sambal oelek, or crushed red chili flakes.
If your tofu stick to the pan while cooking, do not try to flip it forcefully. Wait a minute or so and give it another nudge. Once the tofu develops a crisp crust it will release from the pan easily.
Using up leftover teriyaki sauce: Shake or whisk the chilled teriyaki sauce vigorously before using.
Keywords: vegan teriyaki stir fry, vegetable teriyaki stir fry, tofu teriyaki stir fry