This hearty vegetable pot pie is loaded with seasoned tofu, potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, celery and onion. The foolproof biscuit topping makes this classic comfort food fuss-free!
- 3/4 350g package extra-firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil, divided
- 1 strip of tempeh bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 227g package (approx. 6) cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 250g of The Little Potato Company's Baby Boomers (approx. 12 Creamer potatoes), cut into small pieces (smaller than quarters)
- pinch salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/4 tsp dried savory
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 2/3 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chilled vegan butter + 1-2 tbsp melted vegan butter, for topping
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp unsweetened soymilk
- Marinate cubed tofu in 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth and 2 tbsp soy sauce for at least 1 hour. Reserve leftover marinade.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp vegan butter over medium heat. Add crumbled tempeh bacon and cook, stirring often, until crisp and fragrant. Set tempeh bacon aside and leave any residual butter in the pan.
- Add an additional 1/2 tbsp of vegan butter to pan and sauté mushrooms until golden-brown and tender. Set mushrooms aside and leave any residual butter/mushroom broth in the pan.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and add an additional 1/2 tbsp butter to the same pan. Add cubed tofu and cook, stirring often, until cubes are golden-brown and crisp on nearly every side. Set tofu aside.
- Add 1/2 tbsp butter to the pan and cook onions, celery, and carrots until onion is tender and translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in remaining vegetable broth + soy sauce from the tofu and lemon juice, stirring until gravy is smooth. Add potatoes, reserved tofu, dried marjoram, dried savory, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Bring the stew to a boil before turning down to a low simmer. Stir occasionally and cook for 20 minutes (or until potatoes are fork tender.)
- Discard bay leaf and stir in bacon, mushrooms, peas, coconut cream, and parsley. Bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to an 8"x8" baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Add the chilled vegan butter to the dry ingredients. Use your hands to cut the vegan butter into the ingredient mixture. Continue working the vegan butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the soymilk and use a fork to stir the ingredients. Do NOT overmix. As soon as the mixture is just combined, turn it onto a floured kitchen counter. Knead about 8-12 times before rolling out to 1" thick. Cut out 9 2" diameter rounds.
- Top stew with biscuits (3x3). Brush with melted butter and top with a sprinkle of herbs, etc.
- To limit any possible mess, place baking dish on a baking or cookie sheet (in case the stew boils over in the oven.) Bake for 20-25 minutes. Biscuits should be golden brown on top and cooked all the way through.
For best results, make sure to measure your flour accurately! How to Measure Flour.Vegetable stew adapted from Canadian Living - The Ultimate Chicken and Dumplings.