This salad is hearty, nutritious and satisfying! The mix of warm and cold makes this the perfect salad for the cold winter months.
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 handful chopped romaine hearts
- 1-2 mini sweet potatoes (baked or microwaved)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (cook in vegetable broth for extra flavour)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4-1/2 avocado, chopped
- dressing: spicy-sweet peanut dressing or roasted garlic hummus
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or Bragg's Liquid Aminos - GF)
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce (can substitute with 1 more tbsp sriracha)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2-3 tbsp water to thin
- Scrub, prick, and cook 1-2 mini sweet potatoes until tender. I used my microwave for efficiency and they were ready in about 3 minutes.
- Rinse and drain quinoa. Bring 1/2 cup quinoa + 1 cup vegetable broth to a boil. Turn down to a low simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, wash and chop the romaine, chop up the avocado, and prepare the peanut sauce.
Spicy-Sweet Peanut Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk vigorously OR combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse.
- Store extra sauce in the fridge. I like to keep mine in a glass salad dressing bottle. It may thicken up when refrigerated, I just run my bottle under hot running tap water until it softens back to a liquid.
- Makes approx. 1/2 cup of sauce.
- Mix the spinach and romaine together.
- Top with 1/2 cup warm quinoa, 1-2 chopped sweet potatoes, chopped avocado, pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, and a drizzle (or more) of the peanut dressing.