This Vegan Apple Crisp is a decadent dessert made with lightly-spiced apples and lots of pecan crumble topping. Serve this Vegan Apple Crisp with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream.
- 650 grams of sliced apples (approx 4 apples - we used Honeycrisp and Ambrosia)
- ⅓ cup (80ml) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegan butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tbsp (30ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup (160ml) rolled old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup (125ml) packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) vegan butter or margarine, softened
- ¼ cup (60ml) pecan halves, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) ground cinnamon
- Vegan vanilla ice cream, for serving (we used So Delicious Vanilla Bean Coconut dessert)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C).
- In a medium-sized bowl, gently mix together sliced apples, ⅓ cup packed brown sugar, ¼ cup vegan butter, 2 tbsp flour, and ½ tsp ground cinnamon. Layer apple mixture into the bottom of a 8”x8” baking dish.
- In the same bowl used to mix the apples, combine ⅔ cup oats, ½ cup packed brown sugar, ⅓ cup vegan butter, ¼ cup pecans, 3 tbsp all purpose flour, and ¼ tsp cinnamon. Mix well.
- Use your hands to distribute the crumble mixture evenly over the apple layer, encourage the crumble mixture to form some nice clumpy bits.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the apple layer is bubbling and the crisp/crumble layer is crisp and golden-brown.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.
Reducing the sugar/fat:
This apple crisp is very decadent and sweet, the apple layer is almost caramel-like. You could easily reduce the fat and sugar in this recipe and it would still be delicious! If you want to lower the fat and sugar I’d recommend the following changes:
In the apple layer:
- Reduce the brown sugar to ¼ cup (60ml)
- Reduce the vegan butter to 3 tbsp (45ml)
In the crisp/crumble layer:
- Reduce the old-fashioned oats to ½ cup (125ml)
- Reduce the brown sugar to ⅓ cup (80ml)
- Reduce the vegan butter to ¼ cup (60ml)
Making gluten-free apple crisp:
Omit the flour in the apple layer. Substitute the all-purpose flour in the crisp/crumble layer with any gluten-free flour (or oat flour).
Making nut-free apple crisp:
Omit pecans in the crisp/crumble layer.