Bake up a batch of this Vegan Apple Crisp and fill your home with a fragrant blend of apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, and toasted pecans. Is there any better way to welcome autumn?
Fruit crisps and crumbles are so easy to make. Fall is apple season so they’re affordable and at their peak deliciousness right now. Here in Alberta, orchard Honeycrisp, Ambrosia, and Gala apples are just 76¢ a pound. We used a blend of Honeycrisp and Ambrosia apples to make this Vegan Apple Crisp. Golden Delicious, Braeburn, Granny Smith, and Jonagold are other good options for baking.
Apple crisp is super easy to make vegan. The only ingredient you need to avoid in a typical apple crisp is butter. We used vegan butter instead (vegan margarine works too.)
This recipe for vegan apple crisp is nutty and lightly spiced with cinnamon. Chopped pecans in the crumble layer make this crisp extra special. They’re sweetened and toasted to perfection. I love the crumble topping on apple crisp, so this recipe has plenty of it. Old-fashioned oats, brown sugar, vegan butter, chopped pecans and a dash of cinnamon makes up the easy crumble topping .
I recommend slicing the apples to make this vegan apple crisp. I used my food processor to slice the apples quickly and easily. If you do chop the apples, they need to be finely chopped to ensure they're fully cooked in the finished recipe.
This vegan apple crisp is a decadent dessert with no shortage of vegan butter or brown sugar. The end result is sweet and the apples are almost caramelized. (If you prefer a lighter and less sweet apple crisp, I’ve included some alterations in the recipe notes.)
This decadent vegan apple crisp is perfect served with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream! We used So Delicious Vanilla Bean Coconut frozen dessert.
We love autumn desserts! If you’re looking for more fall apple recipes we have Vegan Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls, Spiced Apple Breakfast Bowl, and a Caramel Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl on the blog. We also have some great pumpkin desserts too! Check out our Vegan Pumpkin Pie with Caramel Walnut Sauce, Rustic Vegan Oat Crisp Pumpkin Pie, and Healthy Pumpkin Pie Parfaits with Coconut Whip.
This Vegan Apple Crisp is a decadent dessert made with lightly-spiced apples and lots of pecan crumble topping. Serve this Vegan Apple Crisp with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream.
- 650 grams of sliced apples (approx 4 apples - we used Honeycrisp and Ambrosia)
- ⅓ cup (80ml) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegan butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoon (30ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup (160ml) rolled old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup (125ml) packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) vegan butter or margarine, softened
- ¼ cup (60ml) pecan halves, chopped
- 3 tablespoon (45ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25ml) ground cinnamon
- Vegan vanilla ice cream, for serving (we used So Delicious Vanilla Bean Coconut dessert)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C).
- In a medium-sized bowl, gently mix together sliced apples, ⅓ cup packed brown sugar, ¼ cup vegan butter, 2 tablespoon flour, and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon. Layer apple mixture into the bottom of a 8”x8” baking dish.
- In the same bowl used to mix the apples, combine ⅔ cup oats, ½ cup packed brown sugar, ⅓ cup vegan butter, ¼ cup pecans, 3 tablespoon all purpose flour, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well.
- Use your hands to distribute the crumble mixture evenly over the apple layer, encourage the crumble mixture to form some nice clumpy bits.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the apple layer is bubbling and the crisp/crumble layer is crisp and golden-brown.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.
Reducing the sugar/fat:
This apple crisp is very decadent and sweet, the apple layer is almost caramel-like. You could easily reduce the fat and sugar in this recipe and it would still be delicious! If you want to lower the fat and sugar I’d recommend the following changes:
In the apple layer:
- Reduce the brown sugar to ¼ cup (60ml)
- Reduce the vegan butter to 3 tablespoon (45ml)
In the crisp/crumble layer:
- Reduce the old-fashioned oats to ½ cup (125ml)
- Reduce the brown sugar to ⅓ cup (80ml)
- Reduce the vegan butter to ¼ cup (60ml)
Making gluten-free apple crisp:
Omit the flour in the apple layer. Substitute the all-purpose flour in the crisp/crumble layer with any gluten-free flour (or oat flour).
Making nut-free apple crisp:
Omit pecans in the crisp/crumble layer.