Crispy golden-brown smashed Creamer potatoes topped with vegan sour cream, crumbled tempeh bacon, vegan cheese shreds, and fresh chives.
- 1.5 lb (680g) The Little Potato Company’s Terrific Trio
- 3 tbsp (40g) vegan butter
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup vegan sour “cream” (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup tempeh bacon (homemade or store-bought)
- ½ cup (56g) vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
Vegan Sour “Cream”:
- 1 cup (140g) raw cashews, soaked
- 1 cup (280g) soft or silken tofu
- 2 tbsp (30ml) refined coconut oil
- 1 ½ tbsp (22.5ml) white vinegar
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5ml) liquid smoke
- 1 cup (120g) crumbled tempeh
- 1 tbsp (13g) vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 415°F (213°C)..
- Boil potatoes for 15 minutes or until the largest potato is fork tender.
- Drain and toss hot potatoes with 3 tbsp vegan butter.
- One a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, use a potato masher to smash each potato. The potatoes should stay together in one piece.
- Brush smashed potatoes with leftover melted vegan butter. Season with ¼ tsp of salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the edges of the potatoes are crispy and golden-brown.
- Top each potato with a spoonful of vegan sour cream and a sprinkle each of vegan cheese shreds, tempeh bacon, and chives.
Vegan Sour Cream:
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend on high until creamy, pausing to scrape down the sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasoning. Chill completely before serving (1-2 hours). Makes 2 cups.
Vegan Tempeh Bacon:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Marinate for 1+ hours..
- Pour off excess marinade and reserve it for later.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp vegan butter over medium heat. Add marinated tempeh and cook, stirring regularly, until golden-brown (about 5 minutes). Taste and adjust the flavour by adding some of the reserved marinade. Cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is cooked off. Makes 1 cup.
Nutrition information based on topping each potato with ½ tbsp homemade vegan sour cream, ½ tbsp homemade tempeh bacon, 1 tsp vegan cheese, and chives.