This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company.
Today we’re veganizing the best baked potato toppings and piling them on to crispy smashed Creamer potatoes. Serve these loaded vegan smashed potatoes as a side dish, a messy-but-delicious main, or as fun and festive little appetizers.
These loaded vegan smashed potatoes come together with 5 key components:
- Little potatoes, smashed and baked to crispy perfection
- homemade vegan sour cream
- smoky crumbled tempeh bacon
- vegan cheese shreds
- and fresh chives or green onion
Terrific Trio Little potatoes are the perfect vehicle for your favourite baked potato toppings. The colourful trio of red, blue, and yellow Little potatoes turns classic comfort food into pretty holiday appetizers. Just boil and smash the Little potatoes with vegan butter, salt, and pepper and bake them until they’re crispy and golden brown. Now load them up with toppings! You can top them as neatly or as messily as the occasion calls for.
This recipe can be customized in a variety of ways. Hot sauce, sautéed onions, roasted mushrooms, and steamed or roasted broccoli are delicious additions. Play around with different toppings! Swap in some of your favourite store-bought toppings to save a little time and effort. Switch up the plating depending on who you’re serving:
- Pile them into a bowl with some steamed or roasted veggies and go crazy with the toppings for a messy comfort food bowl.
- For an attractive appetizer, arrange the crispy smashed potatoes on a platter and top each one with a spoonful of vegan sour cream and a sprinkle of vegan cheese, tempeh bacon, and fresh herbs
You can use homemade or store-bought vegan sour cream and tempeh bacon. I usually buy my tempeh bacon (because it’s quick and easy to prepare, delicious, and as cheap as unflavoured tempeh.) Vegan sour cream is quick and easy to make, so I always make my own. A blend of raw cashews and soft tofu makes for a mild sour cream that doesn’t end up tasting too nutty or too strongly of soy. Refined coconut oil helps to thicken the sour cream once it’s chilled but doesn’t add any trace of coconut flavour.
What are your must-have potato toppings? I’d love to see your take on this recipe! Tag @ilovegan on Instagram so I can check out your recreations! Happy cooking ♥
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company.
We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan!
The Little Potato Company just launched their new website! Head on over to Littlepotatoes.com for hundreds of great recipes, lots of Little potato love, and a brand new, super handy store locator!Print
Vegan Loaded Smashed Potatoes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 32 potatoes 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish, Main
- Cuisine: Vegan
Crispy golden-brown smashed Creamer potatoes topped with vegan sour cream, crumbled tempeh bacon, vegan cheese shreds, and fresh chives.
- 1.5 lb (680g) The Little Potato Company’s Terrific Trio
- 3 tbsp (40g) vegan butter
- ¼ tsp (1.25ml) salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup vegan sour “cream” (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup tempeh bacon (homemade or store-bought)
- ½ cup (56g) vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
Vegan Sour “Cream”:
- 1 cup (140g) raw cashews, soaked
- 1 cup (280g) soft or silken tofu
- 2 tbsp (30ml) refined coconut oil
- 1 ½ tbsp (22.5ml) white vinegar
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5ml) liquid smoke
- 1 cup (120g) crumbled tempeh
- 1 tbsp (13g) vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 415°F (213°C)..
- Boil potatoes for 15 minutes or until the largest potato is fork tender.
- Drain and toss hot potatoes with 3 tablespoon vegan butter.
- One a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, use a potato masher to smash each potato. The potatoes should stay together in one piece.
- Brush smashed potatoes with leftover melted vegan butter. Season with ¼ teaspoon of salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the edges of the potatoes are crispy and golden-brown.
- Top each potato with a spoonful of vegan sour cream and a sprinkle each of vegan cheese shreds, tempeh bacon, and chives.
Vegan Sour Cream:
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend on high until creamy, pausing to scrape down the sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasoning. Chill completely before serving (1-2 hours). Makes 2 cups.
Vegan Tempeh Bacon:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Marinate for 1+ hours..
- Pour off excess marinade and reserve it for later.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon vegan butter over medium heat. Add marinated tempeh and cook, stirring regularly, until golden-brown (about 5 minutes). Taste and adjust the flavour by adding some of the reserved marinade. Cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is cooked off. Makes 1 cup.
Nutrition information based on topping each potato with ½ tablespoon homemade vegan sour cream, ½ tablespoon homemade tempeh bacon, 1 teaspoon vegan cheese, and chives.
Yes, the new website for The Little Potato Co is excellent.
(easy to make and delicious recipes)
I absolutely adore so many of the recipes you posted. I make a few changes to meet my own need. It is truly wonderful to be enjoying foods that I haven't had in years. I have been eating all organically for over 50 years now. I am a self-taught chef & a recipe creator. My friends who I cook for also love your recipes. Thanks a million!!