Back in November, I shared a recipe for Kare Kare Toasted Peanut Tofu & Vegetables, featuring Pulo Philippine Cuisine's cooking sauces. In that post, I highlighted Pulo's Kare Kare Toasted Peanut cooking sauce, and briefly mentioned their Coconut Adobo cooking sauce. I also promised to focus on their delicious marinades at a later date, which happens to be right now!
Pulo's marinades include Mango Chili, Pineapple Tamarind, and Lemongrass Atsuete. Today's recipe features the Lemongrass Atsuete marinade, inspired by Cebu Island.
There are dozens of ways to use Pulo's marinades, but the first thing that came to mind was a veggie loaded wrap with crispy marinated tofu and some sort of avocado dressing.
In the end, I settled on these Marinated Tofu Naan Wraps with Avocado Lime Slaw. Think flavourful marinated tofu, crispy crunchy slaw in a creamy, garlicky avocado dressing complete with a zesty kick of lime, all wrapped up in warm naan bread.
Is this traditional Philippine cuisine? Well, no. Is it still ridiculously delicious? YES!! That's just one of the many nice things about Pulo's sauces and marinades, you can use them for making traditional Filipino food, or you can get a little crazy, put your fusion chef hat on, and just go nuts!
Here's exactly what you should expect if you make this recipe:
Extra-firm tofu, marinated in Pulo's flavourful Lemongrass Atsuete marinade and cooked to caramelized perfection.
Crunchy carrot and cabbage slaw in a delicious creamy avocado dressing with plenty of garlic, a kick of lime, green onion, and a good handful of spinach for some extra green goodness.
All the toppings. I decided on thin-sliced red bell pepper, jalapeño rounds, green onion, lime juice, and just a touch of cilantro.
Top it all off with an extra drizzle of creamy green avocado sauce, and wrap it all up in some warm pillow-y soft naan bread.
This fresh n' crunchy + healthy wrap is all about the sauces. Pulo's amazing marinades easily soak right into extra-firm tofu, and when cooked, thicken and caramelize to crisp savoury-sweet perfection. The tofu alone is super versatile and makes for some awesome sandwiches, wraps, and burgers. It's also great in stir-fries, served on a bed of rice, or as a flavourful, protein packed salad topping. And the dressing? Well, it's damn good too, and multi-tasks as a decadent dressing for salads or as a spread for sandwiches, burgers, wraps, and pretty much anything you could want to put it on. (Seriously, falafel, burritos, tacos, ugh, SO many things!!)
In the sad event that you can't get your hands on Pulo products in your neck of the woods, (it's currently only available in Canada), you can still make something similar using one of my other tofu recipes like the one from my Chipotle Lemongrass Tofu Burger recipe, or something simpler like my Baked Sriracha & Soy Sauce Tofu. Easy peasy, and still totally delicious and satisfying. Enjoy!
This post is sponsored by Pulo Philippine Cuisine. We love them for their easy to prepare and 100% vegan cooking sauces and marinades. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Pulo Philippine Cuisine SO much at www.pulocuisine.com.Print
Marinated Tofu & Avocado-Lime Slaw Wraps
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan
Flavourful marinated tofu, crispy crunchy slaw in a creamy, garlicky avocado dressing complete with a zesty kick of lime, all wrapped up in warm naan bread. Makes 3 large wraps.
Lemongrass Atsuete Marinated Tofu
- ½ bottle Pulo's Lemongrass Atsuete Marinade
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, cut into thin ¼" triangle steaks
Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- ½ large ripe avocado
- juice of ½ lime
- ½ small clove garlic
- 2 stalks green onion
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup spinach, loosely packed
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Avocado Lime Slaw
- 2 cups bagged coleslaw
- ½ carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- approx. 3 tablespoon of Avocado-Lime sauce
- juice of ½ lime
- pinch salt, to taste
- 3 medium-large pieces naan, warmed
- cilantro (optional)
- green onion, chopped (optional)
- red bell pepper, thin sliced (optional)
- jalapeño, thin sliced (optional)
- Cut tofu into ¼" thick slices. They can be cut into rectangles or triangles, just make sure they are a reasonably large size.
- Combine ½ a bottle of Pulo's Lemongrass Atsuete marinade with 2 tablespoon light soy sauce. Pour ⅓ of the marinade into the bottom of a shallow dish, layer the tofu into the container and cover with the rest of the marinade. Marinate in fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat ½ tablespoon of neutral vegetable oil (olive, canola, etc.) in a large non-stick skillet, over medium high heat. Dab off most of the marinade (to prevent burning) and pan-fry in oil until browned and crisp. Flip, and brown the other side.
- For extra flavourful tofu (recommended): Toss the tofu back into the leftover marinade and then transfer it back into the pan, toss gently and cook until the tofu is coated in a thick glaze. Set aside.
Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and lime juice to suit your preference.
Avocado Lime Slaw
- Mix slaw and coarsley grated carrots with 3 tablespoon of dressing, lime juice, and a pinch of salt.
Assembling the wraps
- Warm naan in microwave for 15-30 seconds, so it's just warm and easy to fold. Layer about ⅓ of the slaw down the center of a piece of naan, top with ⅓ of the marinated tofu, top with a drizzle of dressing, add any extra toppings you like (cilantro, green onion, red bell pepper, or sliced jalapeño.) Fold in both sides of the naan and secure with a toothpick if necessary. Enjoy!
Where did you get the marinade? I live in Edmonton AB and cannot find it anywhere. This recipe looks so good I would like to try it.
This is one of the best vegan recipe I made actually. So good!!
I made this tonight and it is easy and delicious!! I made a few changes - no marinade on the tofu and I put cucumber and spinach in the wrap. The dressing is super refreshing, a perfect summer meal. Thank you so much, I truly enjoyed!
Great idea to add cucumber and spinach! It would be even easier to make without the marinade as well. Thank you for trying it out Laura, glad you enjoyed it!
This is absolutely delicious. When I ask my sister what I should make, this is always on her mind. Thank you for such a refreshing recipe.
Oh I'm so glad to hear that! Thanks for commenting Tru!
ELSA BEATRIZ HERRMANN
Sounds and looks divine... One big problem.. Where do I find Pulos marinades?
Hm... This is my most recent info: Pulo Cuisine is available at Cost Plus World Market stores in the US Mainland. Not in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.
It is also available online for delivery in the U.S. at My Asian Store https://www.myasianstore.com/english/all-brands/pulo.html
You could also check out this recipe for an alternative if you can't find Pulo! http://www.ilovevegan.com/pulo-grilled-tofu-bowl-with-baby-bok-choy-cashews/
Tanya Van Dalen
I made this for dinner tonight and I swear its the best thing i have eaten in a very long time,, thank you so much !! Even 2 non-vegan teenage boys loved it
Thanks so much for trying them, Tanya! I'm glad your family enjoyed them! 🙂
Anjali @ Vegetarian Gastronomy
This wrap sounds delicious! I love pan-fried marinated tofu and that drizzle on top...yum!
That tofu looks so good!
Thanks Molly!! 😀
Casey at Two City Vegans
These look so good. That marinade sounds divine. This is my first time on your blog and I am loving your logo and all the florals. 🙂
Thank you so so much Casey! I really appreciate your feedback. 😀 (And I love the clean look of your site, very professional!)
My Dish is Bomb
This is the tofu of my dreams. I love that photo where it's cooking in the pan!
Thank you very much Katy! I kinda like that one too 😛