I've gotta tell you, I am SO done with winter! These Canadian winters are just awful. It's always so cold, I never want to venture outdoors and it feels like it’s dark ALL THE TIME.
The winter blues have been hitting me hard lately. And when I feel like crap it’s really easy for me to ditch my responsibilities and suddenly lose all of my good habits. Taking care of yourself and staying healthy takes effort! When I start taking the ‘easy’ way out and begin choosing processed convenience foods I only make myself feel worse.
Luckily, my body has gotten really good at letting me know when it’s time to clean up my act. After a few days of eating too much junky, processed food I start to get intense cravings for huge amounts of healthy, nutrient dense foods.
While I’m getting back on track I tend to crave nutritious things like smoothies, salads, and vegan lunch bowls.
I love lunch bowls because you can seriously throw whatever the heck you want in there: leftover brown rice, quinoa, potatoes, and any kind of veggies, cooked or raw. When you've got leftovers, lunch bowls are quick, easy and very satisfying. What's not to love?
Well, unfortunately, if you don’t have leftovers on hand, putting together a lunch bowl can become a very long process. I can get disorganized really quickly so there have been a number of times where a lunch bowl craving has turned into me spending over an hour cooking.
That’s what made me want to make a recipe for a quick, easy, from scratch lunch bowl. This roasted veggie quinoa bowl has 5 tasty components and only requires 30 minutes of your time!
In this hearty roasted bowl we have: 1) Quinoa 2) Chili-lime kale 3) Garlic roasted broccoli 4) Curry roasted sweet potato rounds, and 5) Roasted soy sauce and sriracha chickpeas. All of that, in just 30 minutes.
Roasting is the superstar of this recipe. The chickpeas, broccoli florets, and sweet potato rounds all take the same length of time to cook so we can put everything on the same pan. Every ingredient is perfectly cooked in 20 minutes!
During that time you can simmer a pot of quinoa (15 minutes) and sauté some kale (less than 10 minutes) Easy! Assemble and enjoy.
You can add toppings as you please. I prefer straight lime juice and red pepper flakes for this bowl but you could also go with hummus, avocado, guacamole, or sriracha. Each element is plenty flavourful on it’s own so feel free to go topping-less too!
This recipe makes 2 servings so you get to share or save leftovers for work or school the next day.
This 30 minute roasted vegan lunch bowl is made up of 5 delicious components: Chili-lime kale, quinoa, garlic roasted broccoli, roasted sriracha chickpeas, and curry roasted sweet potatoes.
Garlic Roasted Broccoli
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 teaspoon olive or canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of salt
- black pepper
Roasted Sriracha & Soy Sauce Chickpeas
- 1.5 cups (cooked) chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
- 2 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
Curry Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups (packed) kale, destemmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive, coconut or canola oil
- juice of ¼ lime
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prep your vegetables: chop broccoli into medium sized florets, destem and chop the kale, scrub and slice the sweet potato into ¼” wide rounds.
- Massage the broccoli florets with oil, garlic, salt and pepper - make sure to work the ingredients into the tops of the florets. Lay them in a row down the center third of a large baking sheet.
- Using the same bowl you mixed the broccoli in, combine chickpeas, oil, sriracha and soy sauce. Spread them out in a row next to the broccoli.
- In the same bowl combine the oil, curry powder, salt, and sriracha. Add the sliced sweet potato and toss to coat. Lay the rounds on the remaining third of the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Flip the broccoli and sweet potatoes and redistribute the chickpeas to promote even cooking. Bake for another 8-12 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the quinoa. Add rinsed quinoa and vegetable broth to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat down to medium-low, cover and simmer for approx. 15 minutes. Once cooked, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- While the quinoa is simmering and the rest of the ingredients are roasting, preheat a large skillet with 1 teaspoon oil. Add the kale and cook for approx. 5 minutes, or until nearly tender. Add the salt, chili powder, and lime juice. Toss to coat and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble the bowls: Scoop ½ to 1 cup of quinoa into each bowl, top with ½ of the broccoli, ½ the chickpeas, ½ kale, and ½ sweet potatoes. Feel free to keep everything separated in the bowl or mix it all together.