Hands down this is the EASIEST (and most delicious) way to serve steamed broccoli. I promise.
It’s become one of my favourite vegetable side dishes to serve during Thanksgiving AND Christmas due to the minimal effort it takes to prepare it. It’s a simple but impressive side dish of lightly seasoned steamed broccoli spears topped with toasted almonds and garlic in a browned butter sauce. How lovely does that sound?
For a slightly different flavour I like to sub the sliced almonds for chopped cashews. Try it, it's AMAZING.
This is a great side dish that’s easy to prepare for simple weeknight dinners all year round. Steamed broccoli has never been fancier!
Holiday Tip #6 -
In my last post, holiday tip #5 was for enjoying a lazy Christmas. Today, tip #6 is about layering some extra Christmas cheer on top of your normal activities: whether you're working overtime cooking up Christmas dinner, baking festive desserts, or maybe you're stuck commuting on Christmas Eve and you still want to make the best of things. Tip #6 is all about Christmas listening:
- As mentioned in my last post: Stuart McLean's The Vinyl Cafe's Christmas episodes
- Christmas music that even retail employees can handle:
- Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker soundtrack (specifically my favourite song, which I refer to as "my favourite", as in, "William, can you put on my favourite?", so I did have to ask what it's actually called, and it turns out it's "Trépak (Danse russe) or Candy Canes (Russian Dance)". Beginning in December, this should be like every third song you listen to, okay?
- Music From The O.C.: Mix 3 – Have a Very Merry Chrismukkah
- "Winter" music:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan
This is a great side dish that's easy to prepare for holiday feasts and simple weeknight dinners all year round. Steamed broccoli has never been fancier!
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into spears
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp sliced almonds
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- lemon juice, to taste
- Sprinkle broccoli with a little salt and pepper and steam for 5 minutes or until tender. (Refer to notes if you don't have a steamer.) Sprinkle with a little bit of lemon juice and toss gently.
- In a small saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and almonds and cook until golden brown.
- To serve, arrange the broccoli spears in a serving dish. Spoon the browned almond-garlic butter evenly over the broccoli spears.
If you don't have a steamer, preheat your oven to 350° F. Lay broccoli spears on a cookie sheet (with a lip) lined with parchment paper. Add ¼ cup of warm water to the pan. Sprinkle broccoli with a little salt and pepper. Cover with tin foil, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
Wow, I love that link to the Vinyl Café, any time of the year.
Haha, thank you so much Cheryl!
What is earth balance? Is there a substitute?
Vegan butter! Any vegan margarine will do. You could use olive oil if you like, but vegan butter will give you the best flavour.
I made this last night for dinner. It's getting a bit chilly in Australia, so warming dinners are definitely the go. I actually tripled the recipe, and made it as our main. Copious amounts of broccoli and the mouth-watering almond, garlic, butter sauce. (Added a whole baked potato that we smooshed, sprinked with red pepper flakes, salt, spring onion, and a good drizzle of olive oil)
Hubby absolutely loved it. Glad there really was a huge amount of the broccoli, and he packed up the rest for lunch.
Thanks for the easy, and super delicious recipe. This is a keeper.
That's awesome to hear! I'm so glad you both enjoyed this recipe 🙂 😀 Thanks for commenting Rebecca!
My Dish is Bomb
I'm always searching for new ways to jazz up steamed broccoli since it's been one of my favourite sides since I was a kid!! Even the name of this is totally tantalizing but wow your photos look so amazing!! Pinnnned.
Thank you!!! Steamed broccoli with salt + pepper, lemon juice and tons of nutritional yeast is another fun one you'll have to try sometime!