Today we're back at it again with another recipe for Pulo Phillipine Cuisine, featuring their Mango Chili Marinade inspired by Guimaras Island. Yesterday we may have had soup, but that doesn't mean Fall has arrived on this blog! Nope, I've got a burger recipe that truly celebrates the remaining month (yes, more than 30 days!) we have left to enjoy all things summer.
With this recipe, we've now featured all three of Pulo's marinades. We used the Lemongrass Atsuete in our marinated tofu naan wraps with avocado lime slaw, and the Pineapple Tamarind in our Pulo grilled tofu bowl with bok choy and cashews. Yep, you guessed it, Pulo goes exceptionally well with tofu.
I knew Pulo's marinades would be perfect for easy vegan burgers. Just marinate, grill, assemble, and then go crazy with the toppings. Aside from the usual green leaf lettuce, red onion, and tomato, this mango chili-marinated tofu patty is topped with sliced avocado, sweet mango, and a lemon-y cashew crema for a burger that says all things "summer".
I'm a sucker for a well marinated tofu burger but you could absolutely swap out the tofu for another patty. Try marinating a portobello mushroom, or just baste your favourite store-bought vegan burger (or our mushroom black bean burgers) for something different!
Pulo is available in Canada and in the mainland US at Cost Plus World Market (and online from My Asian Store)
This post is sponsored by Pulo Philippine Cuisine. We love them for their easy to prepare and 100% vegan cooking sauces and marinades. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan!Print
A super easy grill-friendly recipe that's bursting with summer flavours! Mango chili tofu, crisp veggies, sweet mango, and a creamy combination fresh avocado and lemon-y cashew crema make for a seriously flavour-packed vegan burger.
Mango Chili Tofu Burger
- ½ cup Pulo's Mango Chili Marinade
- 1 350g block extra-firm tofu
- olive oil, for frying
- 4 hamburger buns
- red onion slices
- tomato, sliced
- avocado, sliced
- mango, sliced
- green leaf lettuce
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Mango Chili Tofu Burger
- Slice block of tofu in half, so that you have 2 square chunks of tofu. Slice each square horizontally so that you have 4 square patties. Press/drain tofu using a clean kitchen towel or paper towel, to absorb excess water. The dryer the better (but don't press too hard or the tofu will crumble.)
- In a shallow dish, marinate the tofu patties in ½ cup of Pulo's Mango Chili marinade for 30 minutes.
- Gently wipe off excess marinade before grilling or pan-frying. Once the patties are crisp and slightly golden brown, brush with excess marinade and cook for a couple of minutes longer.
- Gently warm buns, cut side down, on a hot grill or skillet.
- Top buns with lettuce, tomato, onion, grilled tofu patty, mango, avocado, and a drizzle of cashew crema. Enjoy!
- Rinse soaked cashews under very cold water. Combine cashews (drained), water, lemon juice, garlic powder and sea salt in a high speed blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add more water and lemon juice if cashew crema is too thick to drizzle. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
You'll notice jalapeno slices on my burgers in the photos but unless you really like spicy things I'd skip them. For a kick of heat I'd add a drizzle of sriracha instead.