I know, I know. I'm posting a soup recipe in summer. What am I trying to pull?
Well, September is on its way. And you know what that means right? Summer feels like it's over, even though it's not, and the back to school season is in full swing.
Right now I'm working on a post that's full of healthy packed lunch ideas. So far I've worked out 4 easy make-ahead lunch recipes and 10 simple snacks (5 sweet + 5 savoury) for the post. Before that goes live, I wanted to make sure all the recipes I'm including are already posted on the blog. I'm getting started by posting my recipe for this ridiculously easy curried chickpea soup. Just pack this along with some whole grain crackers or a slice or 2 of bread + vegan butter for a simple yet satisfying lunch.
This recipe is everything I'd expect from an autumn soup: it's comforting, it's nutritious, and it's filling. But the really awesome part of this soup is how incredibly easy it is to make, how it requires almost no chopping, hardly dirties any dishes, and take less than 25 minutes to prepare. That's why I love this soup!
All you need for this recipe is 1 can of chickpeas, onion, garlic, vegetable broth, coconut cream, lemon or lime juice, olive oil + lots of spices. Easy! This is a good recipe for using up any vegetable odds and ends you've got in your fridge. You can customize it to your liking, leave the soup chunky instead of puréeing it, or serve it like I did, puréed smooth and garnished with a coconut cream spiral, cracked pepper, and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
Easy Chickpea Curry Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 5 cups 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan
This easy and nutritious chickpea curry soup is ready in less than 25 minutes!
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive or canola oil
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (540ml/19 fl oz) can chickpeas, drained (about 2 cups, cooked)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mild yellow curry powder (store bought or homemade)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) turmeric
- pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1 ½ - 2 cups (250 ml - 500 ml) vegetable broth
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) coconut cream
- half a lime, juiced
- optional: water or vegetable broth, to thin
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add drained chickpeas, coriander, curry powder, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add vegetable broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Purée and stir in coconut cream. Thin with water (if needed.)
- Stir in lime juice, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve garnished with a swirl of coconut cream, ground black pepper, and pumpkin seeds.
Quick, easy, and very good. Have made twice this week. Thank you
Can I freeze this soup?
Tloved the flavour, pecially the the line. I would have preferred it a Le this thicker.
I'm glad you liked the flavour! I'll add a note regarding the texture/thickness. Thanks for mentioning that!
Will this recipe still work if I use coconut milk instead of coconut creme?
If it's in a can, absolutely!
Made it last night Love the flavor! I also added cauliflower, celery and carrots and did not puree it. It made a delicious summer dinner!
Yay! Thanks Olga! I'm so glad you liked it 🙂 Your additions sound delightful!