It's no secret that I love tofu. In fact, it just might be my number 1 favourite food. It's so versatile, I just want to use it in everything (and I almost do!)
There's one tofu recipe that I rely on time and time again: Sriracha & Soy Sauce Tofu - it's so simple, easy and SO delicious! I like to make a big batch at the beginning of the week to use in different meals during the next few days. It's awesome in fresh summer rolls, stir-fries, sandwiches and wraps, and of course, this salad!
This is my favourite salad, ever. I could eat it every single day and not get sick of it. It's just the perfect vegan salad! It's loaded with healthy ingredients, but doesn't taste overly healthy. It's hearty, full of texture, and super filling.
The sriracha and soy sauce tofu adds a tasty, satisfying meatiness and the creamy avocado chunks perfectly complement the tangy acidity of the dressing and tomatoes. Spinach makes for a beautifully mild base that really allows the basil to shine.
This salad can be thrown together with the sriracha & soy sauce tofu cold or hot, it's awesome either way! If you're not into vinaigrette style dressings, our other favourite dressing for this salad is hummus thinned with a tiny bit of water or chilled vegetable broth to create a creamy, caesar-style dressing.
This is my go-to version of this salad, but we've enjoyed many variations. Some of our favourites:
1 & 2) Add brown rice for a satisfying lunch that's perfect to take on the go!
3.) Add romaine for a little extra crunch and load on the veggies - matchstick carrots and sliced button mushrooms are great options.
4.) Swap the vinaigrette for hummus, swap the basil for sweet corn, and add hemp seeds for a protein boost.
5.) Top with Daiya vegan cheese shreds for a "Pizza salad." (Not pictured, but this is William's favourite!)Print
A deliciously simple spinach salad with seasoned tofu, tomatoes, basil, avocado, and pumpkin seeds.
- 2-3 cups baby spinach
- 10-12 grape tomatoes, halved
- 4-6 leaves basil chiffonade
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette
- ¼ avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ - ⅓ recipe of Sriracha and Soy Sauce Tofu
Sriracha & Soy Sauce Tofu
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon sriracha
Tomato Basil Salad
- Combine the halved tomatoes with the basil chiffonade and dressing. Marinate while you cook the tofu. (Tofu directions below.)
- After the tofu has been prepared, toss the spinach with the marinated tomatoes and top with hot or cold Sriracha and Soy Sauce Tofu, chopped avocado, and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.
Sriracha & Soy Sauce Tofu
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Slice your tofu into your desired shape. I usually go with quarter-sized squares - I'd recommend sticking close to that size and ensure that you slice it no thicker than ½ inch.
- Add the tofu to your mixing bowl and add the olive oil, sriracha, and soy sauce. Gently mix to combine.
- Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove your baking sheet from the oven and flip each piece of tofu. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the tofu and bake for another 10-12 minutes.
- Once the tofu is slightly crispy on the outside, remove from the oven. Be careful not to over-bake it! Serve hot or chilled.
To save time, you can pan-fry the sriracha and soy sauce tofu instead of baking it.