When I think of potatoes and snacking, my mind goes straight to french fries and kettle cooked potato chips. Neither of which are particularly healthy, am I right? But there's no good reason why potatoes can't be the base of healthy, nutritious snacks too. Creamer potatoes are high in potassium (in fact they contain more potassium than bananas!) & they're also a good source of both iron and vitamin C.
These nacho potato bites are a great example of healthy potato-based snacking! They provide plenty of fibre and healthy fats, and are a great way to sneak some more vegetables into your diet without even noticing!
For this recipe I used a mix of The Little Potato Company's Terrific Trio and Blushing Belle Creamer potatoes. The nutritious little Creamers are cut into thin slices and seasoned with a spicy blend of dried chipotle peppers, chili powder, paprika, garlic and onion powder, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. In 20 minutes they're roasted to golden-brown perfection and ready for toppings!
The Creamer potatoes are soft and buttery on the inside and crisp and spicy on the outside. Hot, bubbling vegan cheese and a dollop of homemade guacamole takes these delicious little potatoes to another level - they are seriously addictive! For a little variety I topped them off with a mix of fresh cilantro, finely diced red onion, and slices of jalapeño and grape tomatoes.
It turns out that crispy seasoned potatoes + chunky guacamole is truly a match made in heaven.
The key to serving these potatoes as an appetizer is to serve them nice and hot, almost right out of the oven. Before you even begin roasting the potatoes, make sure to prepare the guacamole, slice up your toppings, and gather any serve ware and utensils you'll need later. Once the potatoes are cooked, transfer them to a hot serving dish and quickly top them with a dollop of guacamole and a variety of your favourite toppings.
If you don't have a reason to make up an entire tray of appetizers, this recipe is perfect for casual snacking too! You can cut the recipe down, quarter the potatoes instead of slicing them and serve them with a side of guacamole. Easy and delicious!
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company. We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan! Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes SO much at www.littlepotatoes.comPrint
Crispy, spicy roasted potato medallions topped with melted vegan cheese, chunky homemade guacamole, and fresh vegetables. A perfect healthy spring and summer appetizer!
- 4 cups sliced Little Potatoes (approx. half of a 1.5lb bag of Blushing Belle, Baby Boomer, or Terrific Trio)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
Taco Toppings (optional)
- 1 recipe Guacamole
- ¼ cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 8-10 sliced grape tomatoes
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped or 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeño, thinly sliced
- cilantro, for garnish
- Prepare 1 recipe guacamole.
- Prepare toppings (slice up approx. 8-10 grape tomatoes,1 small jalapeño, ¼ red onion or 2-3 green onions, and cilantro.)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cut potatoes into approximately ⅛"-¼" thick slices.
- Mix together the potatoes, olive oil, chipotle powder, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt until well combined.
- Lay the seasoned potatoes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Do not overcrowd the potatoes.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Flip and bake for another 6-8 minutes until they're golden-brown and crisp.
- Optional: Top with a light sprinkle of vegan cheese shreds and broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbling.
- Quickly top with approx. 1-2 tsp guacamole. For variety top some with tomato slices, some with jalapeño slices, and some with cilantro, sprinkle with onion. Serve on a warm serving plate. Enjoy!
For casual snacking: Halve the recipe and simply quarter the potatoes instead of slicing them. Serve the hot potatoes with a side of guacamole for dipping.