With just 4 days to go before Thanksgiving, we're squeaking out this post just in time. This year, our 2 year wedding anniversary happens to fall on Thanksgiving! Is that cause for a food celebration or what?
(PS: Don't worry US readers, you haven't mysteriously lost 7 weeks of Fall, we Canadians just celebrate earlier!)
Now what about these Thanksgiving-style smashed potatoes??
For such little potatoes, they sure do pack a big ol' Thanksgiving punch. I love bite-sized foods, I love mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes (okay, all potatoes), and I looove cranberry sauce + gravy. So I've smashed 'em all together and created the this cute Thanksgiving appetizer/side.
These crispy smashed Creamer potatoes (Blushing Belles from The Little Potato Company, to be exact) are topped with a savoury mushroom gravy, a touch of tangy-sweet cranberry sauce, and a pretty little sprig of thyme. Smashed Creamer potatoes are a simple & delicious option whether you're entertaining or just cooking up a solo Thanksgiving dinner (throw in a roast Tofurky for a minimalist Thanksgiving dinner.)
Whether you're celebrating this weekend or you've got another 7 WHOLE WEEKS to wait for Thanksgiving goodness, I think these should make it to your table ASAP. Okay? Enjoy!
PS: If you like potatoes and the all-in-one concept you'll LOVE our Roasted Vegan Thanksgiving Bowl recipe!
This post is sponsored by The Little Potato Company.
We love them for their commitment to simple, healthy whole foods like their delicious Creamer potatoes. Thanks for supporting the brands that support I Love Vegan!
Learn more about why we love Little Potatoes at www.littlepotatoes.com
Crispy smashed Creamer potatoes topped with savoury mushroom gravy, a touch of tangy-sweet cranberry sauce, and a pretty little sprig of thyme. Makes approx. 30 smashed potatoes (about 5 servings.)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cover potatoes with water in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until the largest potato feels tender in the center (when poked with a fork).
- Drain potatoes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Smash each potato with a large pancake flipper so each potato is about ½" thick. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with a generous amount of salt. Bake for 20 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and golden. Top each potato with ½ tablespoon mushroom gravy, ½ teaspoon cranberry sauce, a sprinkle of fresh thyme, and black pepper. Serve immediately.
Luscious, creamy vegan gravy chock-full of thin sliced mushrooms.
- 1 ½ tablespoon canola oil, olive oil, or vegan margarine
- 2 ½ cups sliced white and/or cremini mushrooms (approx. 14 medium or 1-227g pkg)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white miso (blended with a touch of vegetable stock to break up clumpy bits)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute onion and garlic for 1 minute before adding the sliced mushrooms. Saute until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour, and whisk until mushrooms are coated. Stir often and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the vegetable stock, soy sauce, and miso.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Taste and adjust seasoning.